At Bitfocus, we create tools that advance solutions to our greatest social challenges. A majority of unsheltered Americans live in communities that rely on our Clarity Human Services software to support their system of care
Our diverse and inclusive culture plays a key role in our success. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or disability.
***Bitfocus is a fully remote organization; this will be a work-from-home position***
As a Chief Technology Officer, You Will:
The Chief Technology Officer (CTO) aligns our business and technology strategy. A strong leader accountable to a diverse constituency, the CTO champions a technical vision that identifies new technologies, delivers cutting-edge products, and advances our mission to use technology to drive positive social change. Strong candidates combine a software development background with diverse technical and soft skills, including systems architecture, people management, developer platforms, and software development lifecycles. Mission-focused, they bring experience effectively managing a broad project portfolio and leading technical operations teams to accomplish long-term goals.
Leadership, Strategy, and Vision:
- Develop and operationalize a forward-thinking technology strategy that best advances our mission and accomplishes long-term goals across the organization
- Provide technical leadership that champions our enterprise-level technology strategy; Serve an integral role in operations and business development.
- Provide strategic analysis of technical issues and present well-reasoned recommendations for technology initiatives and improvements.
- Advocate and communicate technology capabilities internally and externally, including to leadership, customers, partners, and vendors.
- Collaborate closely with the Executive team to lead the assessment, prioritization, and techno-economic feasibility of potential opportunities.
- Develop, implement, and maintain a short and long term strategic technology, product, and data roadmap in support of company business goals and objectives
- Build industry-leading online experiences that create value for customers and value for the Company
- Structure technology policies, procedures, and standards to ensure organizational success
- Design and lead the implementation of our strategy for technology while ensuring the implementation and enforcement of technology and security standards across the organization
- Maintain industry-leading uptime on critical technology infrastructure through architectural decisions, successful monitoring and testing processes, and system redundancy
- Closely partnering with the Corporate Strategy Department and Business Operations group to ensure the technology strategy is aligned with the organization's strategic plan and is reflected in the business development plans.
- Lead and coordinate cross-departmental solutions in identifying, comparing, selecting, and implementing technology solutions and partnerships to meet current and future needs.
- Actively participate in the definition and implementation of the long-term technology strategy aligned to the Operation, Group, and Corporate technology strategy and goals.
- Lead the development of the Operation’s annual internal research and development portfolio and provide guidance to and management oversight of all projects.
- Proactively establish relationships and meet with current and potential customers to demonstrate the company's credentials at solving problems with technically-differentiated solutions.
- Share information and develop a collective understanding of programs and issues.
Required Experience That Drives Success In This Role:
Your experience includes executive leadership roles demonstrating a track record of technology innovation, design, development, and implementation. Typically, this experience would include at least 10 years with organizational management, process improvement successes, strong financial acumen, successes leading complex contractual relationships, excellent understanding of customer behavior, and keen insights regarding technology and business trends.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Master’s in Computer Science and or MBA preferred
- Minimum of 10+ years experience in highly trafficked websites or mobile apps.
- Minimum of 5+ years leading and/or managing interdisciplinary development teams at the Director level
- Strong Knowledge and experience in development languages such as PHP, Ruby, .Net with modern front end frameworks like Angular and Node.js.
- Strong demonstrated experience and knowledge of MVC pattern.
- Building and Consuming web services (GraphQL, REST, JSON, Web API w/ OAuth)
- Advanced database management and ORM knowledge.
- Knowledge and experience in best-practice engineering processes/methodologies/platforms such as Agile, Service Oriented Architecture, separation of concern, redundancy, and high scalability.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, presentation, and listening skills, with the ability to present complex technical information to a variety of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Demonstrated experience managing vendor relationships.
- Experience in building, engaging, retaining teams and influencing outcomes.
What Makes You Stand Out:
- Systems Thinker – Intuitively identify the overall structures, patterns, and cycles of complex systems and processes
- Analytical and Strategic – A data-driven decision-maker who builds consensus and aligns action to strategy.
- Excellent communicator – Strong written and oral communicator adept at conveying complex topics to a lay audience
- Resourceful – Figures out how to achieve results creatively with finite resources
- Entrepreneurial – Thrives in a nimble, lean, fast-paced startup
- Empathic and Ethical – Self-aware, accepting, honest, open, polite and respectful of other
How We’ll Support You:
- Robust onboarding and training support
- A unique, friendly, and caring culture! Hear more from our employees on Glassdoor.
- Medical, dental, vision insurance
- Medical insurance covered at 100% for employees
- 401K Retirement Plan
- 12 weeks of fully paid parental leave
- Paid time off
- Paid volunteer time off
- Bitfocus primarily uses Apple computers; all new employees receive either an iMac or MacBook Pro to use in their role at Bitfocus
- Annual salary increases and/or bonuses
- Opportunities for professional growth and development